About the Project
- 01Immediate ImpactMethane's global warming potential is over 80 times greater than CO2 in a 20-year timeframe. Addressing this short-lived climate pollutant is key to limiting temperature rise to 1.5 °C.
- 02Waste Sector SignificanceThe waste sector accounts for about 20% of methane emissions and is the third largest source after agriculture and oil and gas. Curbing emissions from waste is vital to global methane reduction efforts.
- 03Co-benefits for communitiesMitigating methane from the waste sector reduces both VOCs and ground-level ozone, fostering a healthier environment and directly enhancing community wellbeing.
- 04Economic BenefitsThere are local economic benefits through job creation from improved waste collection, treatment, and disposal.
- RMIRMI is an independent nonprofit, founded in 1982 as Rocky Mountain Institute, that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all.
- CLEAN AIR TASK FORCEClean Air Task Force is a non-traditional, fact-based, environmental organization dedicated to pushing the technology and policy changes needed to achieve a zero-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost.
With grant support from
- GLOBAL METHANE HUBThe Global Methane Hub collaborates with governmental and non-governmental entities to scale up cost-effective solutions in methane mitigation in the energy, agricultural, and waste management sectors..
- GOOGLE.ORGGoogle.org combines funding, innovation, and technical expertise to support underserved communities and provide opportunity for everyone.